Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Obligatory NY fashion week post pt.1

Just like all the other boys and girls who are interested in fashion, I too have my elitist asshole opinion on all the new shows that have or are being presented this week in New York and I am of course going to share them here. Cliche, I know. I don't really think I am an elitist when it comes to fashion, but I know I can be somewhat hard on designers when I know they can create spectacular things and then they don't live up to that in my eyes. Or if a collection is obviously a rip off of something else, or too boring, or trying to hard or...well, maybe I am a bit of an asshole after all. But fashion week is a public showing of the work one has created. It is meant to be seen by many, therefore it is known that the collection will be judged by all. I won't be so snobbish as to post the collections I believe to be total crap. Instead I will highlight a couple of my favorites thus far.



SUNO
I'll be honest, I never noticed this label all that much in the past. Apparently the duo has been around for 4 years already so I suppose I am a bit slow. This show tugged on my inner fashion grandma heart strings. I love a floral print. Throw in plaid, bold prints and some sweater dressing and you pretty much are on point with my old lady look. To some it may seem totally eclectic and crazy, but if those people were to look past the styling and perhaps see each piece as a separate, perhaps it wouldn't be so overwhelming to find this wearable. There is a strong ethnic (African) influence in Suno's collection and after reading up on them, I come to find it's due to their goal of investing in Africa and to manufacture most of their garments in Kenya. Sweet.
Suno Fall 2011 Ready-to-WearSuno Fall 2011 Ready-to-WearSuno Fall 2011 Ready-to-Wear


Marc Jacobs
I have this joke with my roommate that Marc Jacobs is one of those designers that could shit in a bag and people would still think it was a work of genius. Though I poke fun of his popularity, I do think it is well deserved. The man knows what he's doing and he proves it every single time without fail. Plus he's really sexy. That aside, this Fall collection is no exception to his ongoing list of masterpieces. I love, love, love the blatant fresh take on old classics. Whether it is the shape foundation or fabric usage that is the true classic, he remolds it into something I have never seen done quite like it but with all the glowing nostalgia of the past. Jacobs made great use of shapes by using polka dots, pencil skirts, peplums...OH MY! He also mixes fabrics in interesting ways such as hardware pieces like studs on top of satin, for example. Most importantly, all the fabrics are rich. Velvet, satin, suede, fur, metallic; all these create statement pieces. I also adore how he finds ways to bring back the classic french look using lace and ruffle details here and there. Did anyone else notice a touch of S&M throughout the collection, especially with the chin strap hats, leather gloves and restrictive ponytails? Just another way Marc made his classic woman more modern.

Marc Jacobs Fall 2011 Ready-to-Wear
Marc Jacobs Fall 2011 Ready-to-WearMarc Jacobs Fall 2011 Ready-to-Wear Marc Jacobs Fall 2011 Ready-to-Wear

Marc Jacobs Fall 2011 Ready-to-Wear
Marc Jacobs Fall 2011 Ready-to-Wear


No comments:

Post a Comment